Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We're all on the same island...

Today I got an email from my aunty.. she told me that an old friend, Frank Teese, used to say "you can't get lost because you can't get off the island, and you will make it home sometime." There's a lot of comfort in that. I am so far away, yet I know it's not that far.

I have found it hard the last week or so.. I worked 6 days straight, moved into my accommodation, the few people I know seem to work opposing shifts to me, money is running low, and a great deal of my time has been spent thinking and worrying in light of the tragic situation in Melbourne last week.

That being said, I have handed in my resignation and notified housing that I will be leaving in two weeks. My last shift will be on the 16th.. I leave on the 18th. I have a list of things I want to do here before I leave:

another sunset or 3
another sunrise
a pre-dawn base walk
a sunset helicopter flight
a dinner at the 5 star restaurant

From here, the plan is to head to Kings Canyon and camp for 2 or three nights. Do the rim walk on one day, which I have done before. Do the canyon floor walk. Chill out a bit. Then head to Alice for a day or two. Do exciting things like buy a new pair of swimmers. Stock up on books. Have some more fun. Potentially camp in the West MacDonnell Ranges for a night or two, depending on the heat. From there, spend one night at the Devil's Marbles, one night at Daly Waters, then arrive in Darwin. Probably stop there for a little bit of time to work, Mum might come visit, and I am interested in going to the Tiwi Islands, where they have an exhibition AFL game each year.

I am also toying with the idea of flying to Sydney on the weekend of the 6-7th March for Mardi Gras.

I have moved in with a German girl, Sabrina. She is not the teenage witch, but is lovely nonetheless. I feel very lucky to have moved in with someone I click with, given the close quarters of share share up here. 

At the moment, we are doing a photo project. Each of us made a list of 12 items/objects. We each bought a disposable camera and have a week to shoot each thing on the list.  This is something I need to do more of at home. It's so nice to be challenged and have purpose to my photos. It's awesome taking pics of the rock, but ultimately, it's a rock. There's only so many photos you can take of it, before they all come a bit same same.

All in all, I feel way better, knowing that there is an end point to my time here. It gives me purpose. I am working the next 6 days here, then have an RDO. 

I bought a couple of underwater disposable cameras up here, which I intend to use during the course of my trip. I am enjoying my time here, though the work is long and draining.
I miss everyone a lot, but am trying to suck it up.

I am working hard on remembering.. we're all on the same island. I'll get home eventually. Until then, I intend to see and do as much as I can within my means...

No comments: