Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Town Like Alice

I am in Alice Springs. I have had some good times getting here.
In Kings Canyon, I met a couple named Jackie and Mike. We had some good chats, good times, and did the Canyon Rim Walk together. It was so nice to have their company.

I ended up staying at the Canyon just for one night. The camping facilities were just okay, but the combination of ants and flies, and seeing a dingo rip someone's swag to shreds was enough to make me think that I should just head straight to Alice.

When I got here, I saw some friends from Yulara, and a big night of drinking and trashy dancing at the local saloon, Bojangles ensued. (no sign of Uncle Chop Chop at Bojangles...)

I am staying at a Backpackers here that is part hippie commune, part family share house. It's room circle a grassed area and pool, behind which is a big white screen, on which movies are projected at a deafening volume each night. Tonight it's Labrinth. I'm not making any secrets about how excited I am! I like it here. It's cool and chilled out. It's good recharge time.

Amy is coming this evening, and there will surely be some frantic repacking of the car to fit in both of our stuff in an orderly fashion. I have few other plans while I am here. I haven't taken any photos in Alice, so I might go for a wander today, but I don't feel any pressing need.

The universe has continued to provide in a number of ways. I am embracing this mantra, and holding on for dear life right now.

Some examples:
- good chats, and shouted a round at Kings Canyon, by the lovely Mike and Jackie.
- asking for a refund on the second night of a camp fee, and being refunded the full amount.
- stumbling across a yard sale and buying a rip curl beach bag and a pair of roxy swimmers for the sum total of $1.50
- elegant rabbit. need I say more?
- being given a left-behind copy of the Lonely Planet Australia book by the hostel desk chick (cause mine has vanished)
- scoring 3 books and a cd for $10 at Vinnie's yesterday - surely enough to get me at least through to Darwin!!

I am still stressing about money, but am also aware that it won't help solve any problems, so I am working hard to leave that worry on the back burner until such a time as I can do something about it.

For now, I am relaxing, contemplating shopping plans for food for the next week, and just enjoying myself.
And it's ace.

1 comment:

Li-Kim Chuah said...

I fully believe in trusting the universe – I should clarify – I fully believe in OTHER people trusting the universe. I unfortunately can not because I’m an uptight control freak who can’t help but worry about everything. (Am STILL distressed about that chimp!) I have another friend who asks the universe for things and gets them – so I think it works – she asked for a car the other day and I rang up and offered her mine because my car needed to be driven. You’ll be fine and I can’t wait to see the photos!