Thursday, January 22, 2009

Solid Rock, Sacred Ground

I have made my way to Ayers Rock!
And it is the best feeling. I feel like this is where I am supposed to be.


What a trip it's been! I left Melbourne earlyish and enjoyed a well rounded, healthy breakfast... A crunchie.

I couldn't help myself, when I stopped at Beaufort for a loo break, I popped into the op-shop and found some fabulous pillowcases to add to my collection! The first few hours were quite boring, as I have done that drive a number of times. I did have an excellent pie for lunch in Stawell.

I saw some pretty cool stuff on my way... Outside of Horsham there is a place called Sisters Rocks. I almost missed it, but hit the brakes, and went back.. It is a series of massive rock formations, that are covered in graffiti!



Continuing on the theme of chucking a u-ey to go back and take photos, I found a pink lake.
It is a dried up lake bed that is encrusted with an inch think layer of salt. In places, the salt is pink, because of the beta-carotene that seeps out of the plants on the shores of the lake. I have a couple of healthy chunks of pink salt (will be great for next year's Midsumma Margheritas!!!)






I made it to Adelaide and got quite frazzled, so decided to keep on going and stay somewhere outside of town. I ended up making it to a town called Port Wakefield, which was quite lovely, though very small. Full of tradies, so ended up in a motel, which was good cause I got a good night's sleep.

I headed out the next morning, and stopped in a town called Port Pirie, which was gorgeous. And I hit paydirt with the photos! Lots of people out for a morning swim. And a fabulous big fat old guy, who was belting out some old tunes, the ilk of Perry Como. The flat, still water carried the sound a long way.. It was quite endearing.



Back out on the road, by about 7 pm last night I made it to Coober Pedy. Hot and tired, I found my way to an underground backpackers, and crashed out to sleep after reading about half of a book.


I got a very early start this morning and was well rewarded. The Coober Pedy early light of day was excellent for photos, and the air was cool and refreshing. I head out on the road, another 750 odd kms ahead of me to Ayers Rock.


I stopped in a few places today for photos and other cool stuff and rolled into Yulara at about 4.30 pm, and to my delight, my phone rang as I pulled in.. Was so nice to hear my girl's friendly voice on the other end of the line. I am staying in the backpackers here, which is clean and reasonably quiet. There is a pool, which is good, a laundry which is excellent, considering the piles of black fluff I was covered in after using my towels yesterday, and air conditioning in the dorm room.


It's incredibly hot and the flies attack in their millions. Still and all, I feel like this is where I should be.


I look forward to a great night's sleep and heading out to the Rock tomorrow. No plan formulated as yet. I seem to have left my "Australia" guide book in a 'safe place'.


Times are good.


update: I am having big problems resizing and uploading photos, so this is all I can do for now!!!

1 comment:

Anita said...

Awesome Pics...

Love reading your blog. Thanks for the updates!