Sunday, January 11, 2009

Plans..

With little more than a week before I leave, I am nervously making plans, lest the trip seem completely disorganised.

Packing
As I fill the boxes and bags with my collected treasures, I am realising what a huge move I am making. My apartment, with it's now naked walls (yes Ms Real-Estate, there was never anything there, no that mark was there when I moved in...), it's surfaces void of any knick knacks or photos, and little evidence that I have been here at all, it is sinking in that I am, by choice, going to be homeless for the next few months. As frightening as that thought is, there is a certain air of liberation to it as well. No carrying house keys everywhere I go. No paranoia when I can't find them as I rummage through my bag in the hallway. My car will be my home. And luckily, I love my car. If I may be a touch poetic.. The stars will be my sky. The beautiful Australian landscape, my artwork and inspiration and the universe will provide for me. I hope!

Leaving
I have been scouring road maps, travel information and online resources and have come to a tentative route.. I will leave Melbourne reasonably early and head for Adelaide. I will probably stop at Stawell and Border Town. I will find lodging in Adelaide for the night, see a sight or two and turn in. Leave the next morning for Coober Pedy, via Port Augusta. Plan to stay in underground hotel. Leave the next morning and drive to Uluru. No words for the excitement I am feeling for this part of the trip. This is when I think I will feel like it's really happening. I will probably spend 5-6 days at Yulara and spend some time exploring Uluru, and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas). From here, I will head to Alice for a night, before heading out into the West MacDonnell ranges and Glen Helen Gorge for a couple of nights camping. Back into Alice for supplies, before I drive to the Devil's Marbles. I've heard the campsite is neither pretty nor comfortable, but I am hoping for good sunset and sunrise pictures. From there, Tennant Creek, Daly Waters then to Darwin, to rest for awhile and do some work.

Supplies
I have an awesome tent, it pops up in about 2 seconds. I bought a camp stretched (so the hard ground at the Devil's Marbles won't stop me from sleeping), camp chair. I have the usual camp stove, kitchenny stuff, utensils, plates etc. of course there is the ongoing red theme. I have my cameras (taking my Canon DSLR, my sony cybershot and a polaroid), tripods, cables, chargers etc. Computer. Mobile Phone. MP4 player. Blankets, sleeping bag, pillow, Journals for my witty and well written musings (which are obviously not here) Will be stocking up on canned/non-perishable food before I go, but after I have moved. 

Stuff I'm Excited About Seeing
The Moon Plains (Near Coober Pedy)
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Kata Tjuta (The Olgas - remember that Australian Search Engine Ad?)
Wartarrka (Kings Canyon)
The Devil's Marbles
Standley Chasm
Glen Helen Gorge
Ormiston Gorge
Daly Water's Pub
Litchfield National Park

If anyone reading this has any suggestions of what I should see/do, please let me know. 




No comments: