Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vive La France!!


And so we find ourselves in Paris on Bastille Day...


My first impressions of Paris? I was definitely underwhelmed...


Not so much, now.. With some sleep, a full belly, and an advenutrous spirit, we headed out this morning in search of the Bastille Day military parade and the Eiffel Tower.. and found both. The military parade, at least what we saw of it, was very impressive. France certainly flexed it's military might today, with each battalion marching and singing as they paraded through the streets. The singing came as a real surprise to me, and I can really see how, in times past of hand to hand combat and face to face warfare, the sound of such a mighty army singing would be pretty bloody intimidating!



They also paraded many of their army vehicles.. feeling the streets rumble as tanks and trucks zoomed past was an impressive sight indeed!




We walked and walked, mingling with uniformed military members, hundreds of police, thousands of Parisians, and a tonne of other tourists, easily recognised by the searching look for street signs, map in hand, and the universal gesture for 'I give up, let's just follow them.' We passed the patriotically decked out Champs Elyssee, the Seine, several palaces and Les Invalides, which was like a home for all French war veterans.



Eventually we found ourselves at the Eiffel Tower, which is massive. We staked out the queues for heading up in the elevator (no mention of Superman 2, please!!) and have decided that it is on the list for before we leave..


Also on the list is, of course, EuroDisney, the Louvre, Sacre Couer (tonight for the fireworks), Notre Dame and possibly Versailles...
I know that my initial reaction to Paris was based on fatigue, hunger, and the fact that the first part we saw was pretty seedy.. I'm not in love with the city yet, but there is potential... and the promise of loads of uncompromised, ridiculously juvenile and gloriously childish fun to be had at EuroDisney!!!

1 comment:

barry allen said...

viva! Paris looks great to me! did you have the snails and frogs legs? and the champiagn: And listen to Maurice singing "Thank Heaven For Little Girls" I hope you really did enjoy it Tanya? I have trouble picturing how big it is! Is it bigger than Melbourne in terms of skyscrapers and metropolous? I have heard it is very beautifull?