Monday, June 30, 2008

Ciao! Vacanze Romane.

Here we are in the midst of our own Roman Holiday.
I arrived in Rome Saturday after 24 odd hours of travel. The flights were quite good. I sat next to a lovely Kiwi girl, Katrina from Melbourne to Dubai, which was really nice. On the flight, I was a bit worried when the seatbelt light came on. Looking out the window, we could see the lightinging flashing all around.. below us! We flew over an electrical storm, which is one of the coolest things I have ever seen..
Upon my hot and sweaty arrival at Roma Termini, I found Anita, and we headed to our hotel. It really is very hot and humid here. And so dirty. In any case, Saturday afternoon, Anit and I set off for a great big walk, probably too big a walk considering I hadnt slept well in days and she had been walking all morning. We pushed on through and saw the Trevi Fountain, The Pantheon and a few other great sights. I collapsed in an absolute heap back at the hotel, leaving poor Anita to have dinner by herself..



Yesterday we made our way to Porte Portese, which is the biggest flea market in Rome. We had alot of fun, and felt like being at home at Laverton market, with chants of cinque, cinque, cinque euros! Yes, everything seemed to cost five euros.

We then headed back for a little siesta (and to tend to our sunburn) before heading back out to Basilica San Pietro and The Vatican. Much to our dismay the Vatican was closed. Yesterday morning, they had a big mass because it was the Feast Day of Saints Peter and Paul. We didnt make it to the High Mass, but they held two successive masses when we were there. The lighting was amazing, and I took some (okay alot) of photos as we wandered around the Basilica. We climbed up to the Dome and enjoyed the views before traipsing back down and finding ourselves at the Spanish Steps at sunset.


Rome is a beautiful city- if you can see past the dirt. It's hot and sweaty (and I am very excited that I just found the ' key... keyboards have a different layout here) My calves are aching and my feet are covered in blisters, but it is well worth it.

I am having a great time, and am so glad to finally be on this amazing trip. Today we're hoping to see alot of things too. Piazza Navona, back to the Pantheon, Bocca della Veritas, the markets at Il Campo de' Fiore... and tomorrow morning we catch a train to Siena.. and the Palio!!!

Can't Wait!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!!

Great another blog to read :-)

Wonderful to see you two have got together over that end of the world. I think it will be amaising.

Enjo yourself you two. :-)

DAN xx